Thursday, September 1, 2011

Canning Tomatoes

These are the tomatoes we have gotten so far from our garden. There are lots of greens ones still trying to ripen up. But for now, we had so many ripe at one time, I decided to show the kids how to can them. Klara helped with the blanching process. She LOVED peeling them.

Kaleb was thrilled to do the cutting parts. He was being super careful with the knife.

They were a HUGE help to me. They even helped with the cleaning. What a fun time we all had. When we were done, hearing them "pop" was the best part...a celebration for each one. We ended up making 11 pints. I can't wait to see if we are able to can the rest of them once they are ripe.

I told the kids that we could make applesauce and jam too. They were ready that night to just go to the store and buy what we needed. They need to learn we wait for great sales b4 we just buy. Guess we are still working on that.

No comments: